You will agree that the world has completely gone mobile. Almost everything, ranging from gadget, files, documents, business, transactions, orders, letter writing and more, are now mobile.
Due to the ease of electronics, manual books are now scarce. Books are easily accessed through the medium of the internet and mobile phone screens presently.
With all these changes in mind, there is a rising need for office management and data conversion skills.
You may have been wondering how great authors, bloggers, and many other people create, publish and access pdf files. Today, you are about to learn the trick behind their success. It is not a rocket science. It’s as simple as you can ever imagine. Let’s now get to the practical.
This tutorial is specially designed for beginners and intermediate users of Microsoft Word.
- Readers should be able to convert from word to PDF format at the end.
- Readers should be able to encrypt documents from unauthorized users.
We are going to talk about the following in the course of this tutorial:
- What you need to begin
- Converting to PDF
- Opening the PDF file
WHAT YOU NEED TO BEGIN
- A Desktop or Laptop computer
- Microsoft Office (Ms Word Application)
- Basic knowledge of handling keyboard and mouse
STEP ONE: TYPESETTING
Having acquired the aforementioned, boot your computer system and locate Ms Word thus:
- Click on START MENU
- Click on ALL PROGRAMS (if program is not displayed on the initial start menu area)
- Locate MICROSOFT OFFICE, click to display programs
- Click on MICROSOFT WORD to launch.
After launching Ms Word, set your page thus:
- Click on PAGE LAYOUT tab
- In the RIBBON GROUP AREA that appears, click SIZE and choose A4 as paper type
- Click MARGIN and choose normal (1 inch all sides) or choose CUSTOM MARGIN to input measurement of your choice.
- Click ORIENTATION and choose PORTRAIT for vertical layout or landscape for horizontal layout.
Now, you are ready to go. Begin typing your text.
After typing, select the headings individually or collectively and add the following formatting effects (bold, center) thus:
- Click on HOME tab
- In the appeared RIBBON, click the B icon (ctrl + B) in font group and the center icon (ctrl + E) in paragraph group to bold and centralize the heading.
Also, select the paragraphs and format thus:
- Click on HOME tab
- In paragraph group, click the Justify icon (ctrl + J) to justify the paragraph text.
After you have successful completed the above steps, move to the next.
STEP TWO: CONVERSION
To convert the word document to PDF format, do the following:
- Click on FILE tab
- Click on SAVE AS command to popup a dialog box
- In the SAVE AS dialog box, choose your location (example: Desktop) for storage of the converted file
- Place your mouse pointer in FILENAME box, click and type name of the file (example: Sample book)
- Click on SAVE AS TYPE box and choose PDF
- Click on AUTHORS (optional). Input authors name (Could be your name)
- TITLE(optional), input the title if necessary
- OPTIMIZE FOR: choose STANDARD (PUBLISHING ONLINE AND PRINTING) if you intend to publish the document online. Standard quality recommended.
- Check OPEN FILE AFTER PUBLISHING checkbox (PDF file opens in PDF reader or browser after publishing)
- Click on OPTIONS button (Option dialog box appears.
Choose your page range i.e. number of pages you wish to publish). If you want to encrypt it with password, then check ENCRYPT THE DOCUMENT WITH A PASSWORD checkbox. ENCRYPT PDF DOCUMENT DIALOG BOX pops up, input your password and re-enter password to confirm (6-32 characters). For the purpose of this tutorial, we used 123456 as password. You are free to choose yours.
- Click OK.
- Click on SAVE.
STEP THREE: OPEN PDF
- The file now opens in your PDF reader but if you do not have one, it opens in a browser and asks for password input.
- Type in the password you created
- Click OK to access and read the content.
Boom! We are done. Enjoy your PDF file.
I hope this article was helpful. Please kindly subscribe to our newsletter for latest update. Always check back for more. Thanks.